This week we and our carnival experts have told you where to go, what to eat and what to listen out for. We haven’t told you what to bring, below are our carnival essentials. Ten things you need to maximise your carnival experience.
1. Carnival is all about repping your counrty and pumpin yuh flag
2. It can get hot out there so a spare t-shirt is always helpful
3. A whistle is a definite carnival essential
4. Bitter lemon or any other mixer (Ting, Ginger Beer or Coke)
5. Party Machel Montano style with a bottle of rum (preferably Appleton Estate)
6. Styrofoam Cup is this year’s cup to be seen with
7. Straws are pretty useful for mixing your rum and chaser.
8. Towel is dual purpose, excellent for waving round your head like a helicopter to power soca or for when times get hot and sweaty
9. Hand sanitiser for times when the port-a-loos have no soap left
10. This list would not be complete without an airhorn, hand pumped or gas airhorns are perfect for showing your appreciation for carnival anthems.
Posted in Blog, Carnival Style, HDD Guide to Notting Hill Carnival
Tagged airhorn, appleton estate, bottle of rum, carnival essentials, flag, hdd carnival guide, HDD Dance T shirt, hdd guide to notting hill carnival, notting hill carnival, notting hill carnival essentials, whistle
Its that time of year again, time to dash around choosing presents for your nearest and dearest. We thought we would help you out since it is the season and all that! Here are our HDD gift picks this festive season.
1. Toddla T – Watch Me Dance
One of the most listened to albums this year at HDD HQ. This album has seen Toddla T grow as a producer and work with an array of different vocalists including Roisin Murphy, Jamie George, Wayne Marshall and Tifa. The physical release includes the feature film Always Moving on DVD. The CD and DVD are available to buy here for £7.99 (+p&p)
2. Schlachthofbronx Airhorn
Life is better with airhorns, therefore Christmas is better with airhorns! What better way to show someone you love them than with this Schlachthofbronx airhorn. Available from the newly launched Schlachthofbronx website for 21.90euro (+p&p)
3. Murlo – Nectah
Its no secret that we love Murlo at HDD, his Nectah EP has just been released on Pollinate records and is the perfect stocking filler. The release is available from Juno at a steal of £2.99
4. Mixpak Wave & Wine t shirt
Better than the usual Christmas socks you find in your stocking, this Mixpak t shirt features African print inspired lettering spelling out a soca phrase. How could we not love it! Available from the Mixpak shop for $25 (+p&p)
5. HDD Dance t shirt
We couldn’t have a Christmas gift guide and not include our much loved new HDD t shirts. Available for £15 (+p&p) from our online shop
6. Shimmy Shimmy Shabba Ranks t shirt
A sunny t shirt featuring one of dancehall’s legends Shabba Ranks, these tees have been so popular that the Shimmy Shimmy crew have re-printed just in time for Christmas. Available for £25 (+p&p) from the Shimmy Shimmy website
Posted in Blog
Tagged airhorn, HDD Dance T shirt, mixpak, murlo, nectah ep, pollinate records, schlachthofbronx airhorn, shabba ranks, shabba t shirt, shimmy shimmy t shirt, toddla t, watch me dance, wine & wave t shirt
WANT TO WIN ONE OF OUR LIMITED EDITION HDD DANCE T SHIRTS?
To be in with a chance of winning all you need to do is click on the image above and reply to the post on our facebook wall telling us why you love Hipsters Don’t Dance. The best answer wins a t shirt! It’s as simple as that! Competition ends on Friday 9th of December.