3 hours of carnival sounds from us and Swing Ting on NTS. We were joined by our favourite The Large and dancehall legend Spragga Benz dropped by to showcase some of his new music. Listen back below, tracklist here.
Category Archives: HDD Guide to Notting Hill Carnival
Last Sunday August 28th we took over the Radar Radio airwaves for our eight hour carnival special. We had a little help from some of our musical friends, who gave us their takes on carnival. Listen back to all of the shows and mixes below or check out or mixcloud playlist here.
Hipsters Don’t Dance b2b Shy One Download here
Deadhype Download here
Florentino Download here
Aerial Download here
2Shin Download here
Swing Ting (Platt, Samrai & Joey B) Download here
Moleskin Download here
The Large Download here
Murlo Download here
Jubilee Download here
To celebrate Notting Hill Carnival, we did a special carnival takeover of Radar Radio on Monday, with carnival mixes from Chief Boima Emily Dust, False Witness, Fireman Sam, Joey B, Murlo, Serocee So Shifty, Swing Ting, The Large and Vamanos. Stream or download the mixes below and cure your carnival tabanca.
Hipsters Don’t Dance with Serocee – Download here
Fireman Sam – Download here
Vamanos – Download here
So Shifty – Download here
Murlo – Download Here
Swing Ting (Samrai, Platt & Joey B) – Download here
Emily Dust – Download here
False Witness – Download here
The Large – Download here
Chief Boima – Download here
This week we and our carnival experts have told you where to go, what to eat and what to listen out for. We haven’t told you what to bring, below are our carnival essentials. Ten things you need to maximise your carnival experience.
1. Carnival is all about repping your counrty and pumpin yuh flag
2. It can get hot out there so a spare t-shirt is always helpful
3. A whistle is a definite carnival essential
4. Bitter lemon or any other mixer (Ting, Ginger Beer or Coke)
5. Party Machel Montano style with a bottle of rum (preferably Appleton Estate)
6. Styrofoam Cup is this year’s cup to be seen with
7. Straws are pretty useful for mixing your rum and chaser.
8. Towel is dual purpose, excellent for waving round your head like a helicopter to power soca or for when times get hot and sweaty
9. Hand sanitiser for times when the port-a-loos have no soap left
10. This list would not be complete without an airhorn, hand pumped or gas airhorns are perfect for showing your appreciation for carnival anthems.
Over the past 3 years the RBMA and Major Lazer Carnival party has become one of the musical highlights of the year. From it’s small and inauspicious beginnings to last year’s guestlist spots being snapped up in 10 seconds, the party has moved from strength to strength. Some people might only be going for the free booze and food (nothing wrong with that) but the carnival line up has always boasted the best DJ’s and producers around. The event for us has been an opportunity to see some of our favourite dj’s up close. On the eve of the guestlist being open (11th august 10 am) here are some of our favourite moments from the last 3 parties.
We were first introduced to Trini Gladiata (or some of you may know him as MC Prankster) when he mc’d alongside CWD at our October session last year. Since then, he has become part of the HDD family. You can find him with us most night’s hyping the HDD crowd, when he’s not flying around the world, going from carnival to carnival.
To kick off our month of carnival related posts, here are Trini Gladiata’s recommendations for Notting Hill Carnival.